Cebu’s heritage watchtowers in Going Places magazine March 2017
The Spanish friar, Fray Julian Bermejo arrived in the pillaged town of Boljoon in 1802. The town was in ruins and the church unfinished due to a Muslim slave raiding in the late 18th century. It was because of this that he decided to construct a series of telegraphic watchtowers to warn the southern towns of impending raids, call the townsfolk to the church and prepare the volunteer militia to fight the raiders.
And it was successful, with one clear result when in 1815, a fleet of slave raiders were defeated and with the peace in the seas, the current town of Oslob, then was transferred to its present location from its fortified settlement two kilometers away.
Check out the magazine.