I take beautiful and meaningful images. I specialize on ARCHITECTURE, TRAVEL and DOCUMENTARY.
I am available for projects, assignments, talks and workshops on Photography and travel blogging.
I also write for architecture and design and travel magazines.
Hi, I am Estan Cabigas, a Filipino freelance photographer and writer based in Makati City and Cebu. My ethnicity is a mixture of Filipino, Chinese and a minority, the Subanen tribe of Western Mindanao. I call Cebu as my permanent home, studied in Manila, worked in the cities of Cebu, Cagayan de Oro, Davao and Makati, the Philippines. I was a telecoms engineer for nine years and in 2006 pursued my interest in Photography.
My work has been exhibited in major cities in Asia and Europe as well as attended local and international photography workshops. I have been the principal photographer and worked on several coffeetable books, contributed for both online and print publications and have taught Photography via workshops and in an academic setting.
I also have my very own travel column, Langyaw Travel, in Manila Bulletin’s Going Places magazine starting January 2017. I have also been featured in the Philippine Daily Inquirer, twice in Kapuso Mo Jessica Soho and once in Cebu Pacific Air’s inflight magazine, Smile.
Mobile: +63 917 541 3849
Email: contact [at] estancabigas [dot] com or send via the Contact form
- Diploma in Photojournalism, 2008-2009 (Konrad Adenauer Asian Center for Journalism, Ateneo de Manila University)
- Illuminated Isles: Empowering the Philippine Countryside through Rural Electrification, December 2015 (contributing writer and photographer)
- Pagsulay: Bohol Churches Before and After the 2013 Earthquake, September 2014 (principal photographer)
- Balaanong Bahandi: Sacred Treasures of the Archdiocese of Cebu, November 2009 (principal photographer)
- Philippine Church Façades, 2007 (principal photographer)
- Donggang International Photo Festival, 15 July – 25 September 2016 (Yeongwol-gun, South Korea)
- Photoquai 2013, 17 September – 17 November 2013, (Paris, France)
- Nothing to Declare International Contemporary Art Exhbition, 18 October-12 November 2011 (Mandaluyong City, Metro Manila)
- Noorderlicht International Photography Festival 2011, 11 September-9 October 2011 (Groningen, the Netherlands)
- International Orange Photo Festival, 22-26 October 2010 (Changsha, China)
- Mois de la foto, 27 October 2010 (Yogyakarta, Indonesia), nightly projection
- Asian News in Pictures, October – November 2010 (Metro Manila, Philippines)
- Mapping Invisible Cities, 2008 – 2009 (Six major Southeast Asian cities and Hamburg, Germany)
- Chobi Mela V International Festival of Photography, January-February 2009 (Dhaka, Bangladesh)
- Surfacing: A Photo Project on the Lives of Families of Desaparecidos, 2007-08 (around Metro Manila)
- Angkor Photofestival, 2006 (Siem Reap, Cambodia), Projections
- UNMASKING: A Photography Workshop on Portrait and Identity with Marc Lathuillière, Makati City 2010
- Singapore International Photography Festival Southeast Asian Workshop, October 2008
- Urban Photography with Peter Bialobrzsky, January-February 2008
- Documentary Portrait Photography, Silverlens Gallery 2007
- Portfolio review with Ben Lowy and Marvi Lacar, Manila 2006
- International: National Geographic Magazine, Geo (Germany), Artlink (Australia), The Sunday Times London, Silkwinds (Singapore), Regards (France), CNN Travel, Telegraph.Co.Uk, Repubblica.It, Liberation.Fr
- Philippines: Philippine Daily Inquirer, Cebu Daily News, Newsbreak, Front Runner, Space, Navigator, BluPrint, High Life, Enterprise, Frontline, Sunday Inquirer Magazine, PCIJ iReport, Mabuhay, Smile, Inflight, D+C, Going Places
Photography Teaching experience
- De La Salle University (Manila)
- Filipinas Heritage Library (Makati City)
- UP Film Institute (Quezon City)
As a travel blogger
- 2008 Best Single Post – Travel, Philippine Blog Awards
- 2009 Best Travel Blog, Philippine Blog Awards
- 2009 Globe Digital Tribe Awardee, Philippine Blog Awards
- 2010 Winner-Culture and Heritage Category, Wandering Juan Travel Blog Awards of Cebu Pacific Air
- 2011 Winner-Travel Writing Category, Intramuros Bloggers’s Challenge
- 2012 Finalist-The Visualizer, Globe TattAwards
- 2012 1st Prize, Ramon Aboitiz Foundation, Inc. Heritage Blog Contest/Gabii sa Kabilin
- 2013 Best Travel Photoblog, Philippines, Skyscanner Travel Bloscars
- 2009 Best Photoblog, Philippine Blog Awards
Blogging/Social Media Talks
- Bicol Tourism Summit
- Travel Blogging, Cebu Blog Camp
- Travel Talk Series, R.O.X.
- Blog and Soul: Travel Photography, Asian Institute of Management